QuickBooks application is the best fit for small to mid-sized businesses, and it has been seen that even though regular updates in the software fix its minor glitches, unwanted errors may creep in at times. It is possible that the software may not be corrupted, but the system on which it is being used can cause errors. One such error is QuickBooks Error 4120, recognized as the runtime error. It appears while the user is working on the application, and with no specific reason, it is vital to deal with it as soon as possible. If you have been searching for methods to fix QuickBooks Error 4120 manually, you are at the right place. Our article discusses the error in detail and how to resolve it.
While it can be dealt with manually, if you want to save time and your data, we suggest calling the support team on 1.855.738.2784
Definition of QuickBooks Error 4120
QuickBooks Error 4120 appears while performing various tasks on the application and flashes on the screen without warning. Hence, it is categorized under the runtime error. Restarting the system and the QuickBooks software is a temporary fix, but if it is not addressed on time, the error will infect all the essential files on your computer. The following error message appears when error 4120 takes place.
Error 4120: QuickBooks has encountered a problem and needs to close.
Read Also – QuickBooks Runtime Error R6025
Reasons behind runtime error 4120 in QuickBooks
Even with the best application, you cannot expect it to be free of errors. Similarly, users face some unwanted errors even with the finest features in QuickBooks. For example, runtime error 4120 in QuickBooks can be a result of internal issues in the system and the application. Here are some reasons that have been observed to cause the runtime error.
- While using the QuickBooks application, some incompatible programs are running simultaneously.
- Insufficient memory on the system is another reason for QuickBooks Error 4120.
- An issue with the graphics driver.
- A virus or malware has infected the system.
Recommended To Read – QuickBooks Runtime Error
Methods to repair QuickBooks Runtime Error 4120
As a QuickBooks user with important data stored on the application, you must get rid of QuickBooks Runtime Error 4120 as soon as possible. This section of our blog will discuss different methods to repair the error 4120.
Method 1: Close any conflicting programs
The first reason listed in the section of reasons for QuickBooks Error 4120 was simultaneously running conflicting programs. Hence, in the very first method, we will suggest that you must close them. If you are unaware of the steps, here is what must be done.
- Use Ctrl + Alt + Del keys on your keyboard to open the Task Manager.
- The window that appears in front of you will have a list of the processes running on the system.
- Navigate to the Processes tab.
- Start highlighting each program and pressing the End Process button.
- While you end the processes if a program does not shut down. It means the error lies in that program.
- Consequently, follow the repair process to fix that application.
Method 2: Repair the conflicting program
You must follow this method after you have identified the conflicting program in the first method. Repairing the incompatible program will ensure that you do not have to face QuickBooks Error 4120.
For Windows 7 users:
- Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.
- Look for the list of programs and click on the conflicting one.
- Choose the option to Uninstall a program and click Repair.
If you have Windows 8:
- Click on the Start Button and then More Settings.
- Choose the Control panel option.
- Highlight the conflicting program and select Uninstall a program and click Repair.
For Windows 10:
- In the search bar, type Control Panel and hit Enter key.
- Under the list of programs, choose the damaged program as per method one and click on Uninstall a program.
- Once you see the Programs and Features screen, you can Update or Uninstall the program.
- Follow the steps as they appear on the screen and, finally, reinstall or repair the program.
Method 3: Re-install Runtime Libraries
It is possible that an error in the installation of the MS Visual C++ package might be causing QuickBooks Error 4120. As a result, the best way to fix the error is to uninstall the existing package and reinstall it on the system.
- Go to the Start menu and open Programs and Features.
- Search the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package and click on it.
- Choose the Uninstall option present at the top of the list.
- On-screen instructions will guide you to uninstall the package.
- Now open your web browser, and you must download the latest redistributable package using Microsoft’s official website.
- Complete its installation.
Method 4: Run Disk Cleanup
It has been seen that if your system does not have free space on your computer, runtime errors can appear frequently. Therefore, you must run disk cleanup for the same and eliminate Error 4120.
- First, you must create a backup of essential files on your system.
- After the backup, try creating extra space on the hard drive.
- At times, cache takes up a lot of memory. Try clearing it out and rebooting the computer.
- Here is how you can run disk cleanup to free some space on the system.
- Navigate to the explorer window.
- Right-click on the main directory (usually it is C:)
- Choose the option that says Properties and choose the Disk Cleanup option.
As we complete the blog on QuickBooks Error 4120, we hope the solutions assisted you in getting rid of this runtime error and getting back to the working of QuickBooks. But, you may encounter situations where the error 4120 is not fixed by the above methods. It represents that the reason for the runtime issue is deeply rooted. The only solution is to reach out to the experts. Our support specialists are a call away, and dial 1.855.738.2784 now to avail of on-call assistance regarding any software error.
Related Posts –