QuickBooks error code C=51 emerges unexpectedly due to any deleted file. Although it is not a common error, users need effective troubleshooting to fix this issue as quickly as possible. Therefore, we have formed this detailed, comprehensive guide to let you know about this error and ways to eliminate it.
QuickBooks Desktop is amongst the highest-grossing accounting applications. But is it really advanced enough to promote smooth and error-free working? Let us find out in this blog. QuickBooks Error C=51 is one of the uncommon errors that arise in the program, usually due to some deleted transactions. The supporting text explains this in a better manner – “QuickBooks is not able to find the TxList file.” Another key point triggering this error is an incomplete backup or program installation. One easy way to troubleshoot the problem is to end all QB tasks and re-launch QB after rebooting your device. Sometimes, this might be enough to help you get ahead of the error. In those cases, this blog will be fruitful for you. Have a read till the end.
Try this alternate solution if you are unwilling to proceed to the following blog. Get in touch with our certified pro-advisors at +1- 855 738 2784 and receive the perfect advice on how to deal with QuickBooks Error C=51 like a pro!
What is QuickBooks Error Code C 51?
The QuickBooks Error C 51 appears with an error message that says that the application could not locate the TxList file. Usually, when users try to locate this file to delete, they may be unable to do so. It may also emerge while trying to remove any transaction from the report. Usually, you can try closing down all the reports and the QuickBooks application and then rebooting the system to get rid of this error. Repeat the steps where you encountered the QuickBooks error code C=51 and see if it persists. If it does, keep reading this blog till the end to know the whys and hows of getting rid of it.
Recommended To Read – Fix QuickBooks Migration Failed Unexpectedly
How Exactly does QuickBooks Desktop Error C=51 Occur?
Here is a list of the most common factors the provoke QuickBooks Error Code C=51. There can be several other generic reasons responsible for the same –
- Missing or deleted transactions in the txLists is the primary reason behind error C=51.
Unstable internet connectivity leads to disruption in QuickBooks activities. Since some transactions may not have gotten downloaded, this issue could have gotten triggered.
- If the presence of a malicious software corrupts the QuickBooks company data file.
- Damage in the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- If the user encounters an error while doing the QuickBooks verification or rebuilding, a c=51 QuickBooks error can emerge.
- Corrupted company files may also lead to this error.
- Issues with updating QuickBooks Desktop can bring forward the error code C=51 in QuickBooks Desktop.
- The transaction log folder (.TLG) might be in the same folder as the corrupted company files (.QBW), causing this issue.
- Damage to the media or hardware where old QuickBooks backups have been stored can cause this issue.
If you detect any of the reasons mentioned above in your system, you might be infected by QuickBooks error code C51. Resolving them through appropriate solutions becomes necessary in such circumstances.
Quick Fixes to Resolve Error C51 in QB
You can try attempting the following quick fixes to rectify the C=51 error in QuickBooks:
Solution 1: Reboot QuickBooks
Begin by closing all the open reports and files in QuickBooks. Now, exit the application and reboot the system. Now, attempt opening it again and finding the TxList to see if the error persists.
Solution 2: Exit the QB Processes in Task Manager
Close all the QuickBooks processes in the Task Manager as follows:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys together on the keyboard, and the Task manager Window will pop on the screen.
- Once it does, go to the Processes section.
- Press Q to get all the QuickBooks processes currently running on the screen.
- Right-click each of them and then choose the End Processes option.
- Once done, close the Task Manager and then attempt to use QuickBooks again to see QuickBooks error 51.
Solution 3: Install the Most Recent Updates Released for your QuickBooks
Incompatibility issues or outdated QB issues can also bring forth QuickBooks C=51. Rectify it as follows:
- Launch the QuickBooks Desktop.
- Visit the Help menu.
- Choose the Update Now option.
- Hit the Get Updates option and see if any updates are available.
- If there are, the process will begin automatically.
- Let them get downloaded and then launch the updated QB version to check the C=51 QuickBooks error.
Now, before you implement any of the above or below-mentioned troubleshooting methods to fix the C = 51 QuickBooks error, it’s crucial to create a backup of your company files. It will help you stay protected against data damage or loss. Also, it makes sense if you take the backup in the latest QB version, so that you can access the upgraded QB tools.
Tricks that will Help you Resolve QuickBooks Company File Error Code C=51
Go through the below section and understand your restoring the transactions and backup file, along with utilizing the Verify and Rebuild Data tool can eliminate QuickBooks Error Message C=51 permanently –
Resolution Method 1 –Reinstating the Deleted Transactions to Revert Error C=51
Unfortunately, if you encounter error C=51 in QuickBooks due to deleted transactions, restoring them is not applicable. Instead, you can relocate them and then re-enter them in the records. This is how –
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and press the Settings tab.
- Select the Audit Log option and choose the right user, date, or event of the transaction.
- Hit the Apply button and look for the transactions that were deleted. You can also search for them by pressing the Ctrl + F keys and typing in Delete.
- Move to the History section, tap on View and gather the required data from the Event section.
- Now, re-enter the transaction using these steps.
- Click on the New icon, and press the “Invoice/ Transaction” button.
- Go to the Customer section and choose the customer for whom the transaction has to be created.
- Type in the Date of transaction and tap on “Products/ Service.” Enter the required details in the given fields.
- Finally, click on either “Save and Send” or “Save and Close” as per your choice.
Read Also – Resolve QuickBooks Error C 224
Resolution Method 2 –Performing a Complete Backup Restore of the Company File
When there is a fault in the company data file, restoring it to the previous version can help revert the issue, as the error-free version of the file is stored –
- Before proceeding to the steps, ensure that backup of the company file is stored on the local drive of the device, not any external device or cloud software.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and go to the File drop-down menu.
- Tap on “Open or Restore Company” and then the “Restore a Backup Copy” option.
- Hit the Next button, choose the Local Backup and press Next once more.
- Search your device for the file backup, which is in the format – company file name.qbb.
- Select a folder to store the file; this should not be the same as your company file.
- Press Open and then Save.
Resolution Method 3 – Put to Use the Verify Data and Rebuild Data Tool
The primary function of the Verify and Rebuild Data Tool is to fix common glitches in the company file. It is not necessary to run the Rebuild Tool unless there is an issue with the file –
- Terminate all tabs and programs in your device apart from QB.
- Go to the QuickBooks Desktop screen and click on File.
- Scroll down to the Utilities option and select Verify Data.
- Wait for one of the following messages to appear on your screen and perform accordingly –
- Everything is under control if “QuickBooks detected no problems with your data” is displayed.
- If an error message shows up, follow the upcoming prompts to fix it.
- “Your data has lost integrity” is a sign to repair your file.
- In order to repair your file, you must run the Rebuild Data tool.
- Click on File, then Utilities, and select Rebuild Data.
- Create a data backup file and allow the tool to run interrupted.
- Wait for the “Rebuild is completed” text and hit the OK button.
- Finally, run the Verify Data tool again to ensure that all damage has been repaired.
You May Also Like To Read – How to Fix QuickBooks Unexpected Error Code C = 184
Resolution Method 4 – Verify the Stability of your Internet Connection
You might never notice, but a weak or slow internet could be one of the major causes for errors to invade your device. It is best to check the connectivity and proceed accordingly –
- Try reconnecting your internet connection to your computer.
- If multiple devices are connected to the internet, there is a possibility that you may receive a slow service.
- Restart your Wi-fi router and then reconnect the network.
- Ensure that you are not working on a public connection as it could corrupt your device.
- Switch between your Wi-fi and mobile network, just to confirm if it is the Wi-fi that is at fault.
- After performing all checks, connect with your service provider to find a solution if you continue to struggle.
Recommended To Read – Resolve QuickBooks Error C 343
Resolution Method 5 – Utilize QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
QuickBooks File Doctor tool is an excellent tool you can download directly or run through the Tool Hub and fix the issues affecting your files. Undertake the following steps to implement this action
Through QuickBooks Tool Hub-
When implementing this method through the QB Tool Hub, take the following actions:
- Go to the Intuit Website to download the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Finish the downloading procedure of the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file to the desired location.
- Now, access this file to proceed with its installation on the system.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to do so.
- Once done, you need to open the QB Tool Hub.
- Now, go to the Company File Issues tab in the tool hub.
- Here, you’ll find the option of QuickBooks File Doctor.
- Click and browse for the file you think is damaged or corrupted.
- Let the tool run, scan, detect, and diagnose the damage.
- Once the QB File Doctor finishes its work, you can go to QB again to check for the error at the same place it was before.
The benefits of downloading the Tool Hub are that you get various other tools like Quick Fix My Program, QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool, etc., to fix the various issues a user might encounter.
You can download and run this utility directly as follows:
- Visit the official website for QuickBooks File Doctor.
- Click the Download now option to let the QuickBooksFileDoctorTool.exe file store on your system in the desired location.
- Once done with the download, undertake its installation, and launch it.
- Run all the files and rectify the errors.
Downloading it directly saves you time and helps you focus on the problem at hand better.
Finally, we have reached the end of our exclusive blog on QuickBooks Error Code C=51. We have put our best efforts into gathering the most relevant and up-to date information and broken it down in the simplest manner. If you have carried out all resolutions but still fail to eliminate the error, we suggest you contact our tech specialists right away. They can figure out a way to cure this in no time Call +1- 855 738 2784.
What specifications should I keep in mind before resolving error c51 in QB?
Keep the following specific points in mind that you cannot afford to miss:
- Form a local backup of your company and other essential data.
- Check if the QBW file is corrupted.
- Ensure that the transaction log file and the corrupted QBW file are in the same folder.
- Make sure to take a backup of the other QuickBooks data files like (.QBW, .QBB, .QBM)
What else can I do to fix the C=51 error?
You can try repairing the data file. You must check the internet connectivity and ensure no error is there. Access the lost transactions and fix the damaged data using rebuild and verify utility in QuickBooks.
Related Posts –